What an adventure! As we careened around the streets of Rome, my question to Max was that I wondered if he had oil slick. I felt like I was in Spy Hunter. We got to the station in record time, and we dizzily stumbled out of the cab. Then we waited. And waited. Then we peed. Then we waited. And some more. We had left early to allow plenty of time for a bus that went around the city, and our 2.5 second cab ride had left us with plenty of time to spare. Ah, well, better early than late! We finally got on the train, and we were off!
| mopeds |
We walked right there, and smack into a huge line. There were people hawking tours so you could skip the line, but they were 20€ per person over the admission, making it an extra 100€. We weren't going to pay that much. We waited, and waited, and waited. There seemed to be a big movement about every 30 minutes. They could only have so many people in at a time, so we had to wait for one group to leave before they would let another one in. Max, Em & I took a little walk while Mom & Steven stayed in line. We offered to take Steven with us, but he didn't want to come. Emma took pictures of pigeons in a park. When we got back, they had moved a little. Woo hoo! We stood in line. The original plan had been to eat lunch after seeing David. We stood in line. We went to a little supermarket near the Academie and got hot dogs and mini pizzas. We ate them. We stood in line. Then we waited. Finally, after almost 3 hours, we got inside. Guess what there is to see there? David. That's about it. But luckily, ya know, it's pretty friggin' cool to see David in person. He's huge! You aren't allowed to take pictures, but after 3 hours in line, I took pictures, dammit. I'm pretty good at taking pictures from my hip as the camera just hangs there, so it isn't obvious I'm taking them.
| David |
On the way to the Uffizi, we stopped and admired the Duomo. That is a seriously cool building. I don't even know how to describe how cool it is. It looks like no other building I've ever seen before. We also found a lovely umbrella. I've been looking for an umbrella with art on it for years, since the ones I used to see in the Signals catalog when I was a kid. This one had Primavera on it, so how could you go wrong?
| The Duomo |
So, Em & I took off. We rushed through pretty much every gallery, trying to find my paintings. Since we had been with the tour, we had no maps. We went through the upstairs, we went through the downstairs. I finally found a person and asked, and she said they were back upstairs, on the other side of the building (it's shaped like a U). We went back up. We went back to the other side. We finally saw them. I took some illegal pictures.
| Birth of Venus |
| Primavera |
After that bit of a break, both kids were feeling much better. We headed out of the Uffizi and toward Ponte Vecchio. It's a huge bridge lined with jewelry stores. We walked about halfway down and back, since none of us were in the market for jewelry. We then decided we were hungry, and we figured we would find dinner on our way back to the train station. We still had almost 2 hours until we needed to be there. We saw a little place with sandwiches and pizzas that looked reasonably priced, so we stopped there. One thing we discovered about Italy is that food in display cases is two different prices depending on if you want it to go, or if you want to make use of their tables. We took our food to go, and headed to a park near the train station. Luckily, it was the kid of park where people sat on the grass and ate. So, we did. Then, the kids chased more pigeons.
We were exhausted by the time we got back on the train. Em slept through most of it, and I slept through some. We hopped on the bus and took it back to the apartment. This time, we knew how to validate our bus tickets, and we realized what a good thing it was we had taken the cab to the station that morning, because there wouldn't have been anyplace open that early for us to have bought tickets, and we had forgotten ours from the day before. Oops. Lesson learned. We headed home and got straight into bed.
Emma says - I'm glad Steven didn't mind me using him as a pillow for a little while. David is cool, he has the most famous junk in the world.It's on underwear, postcards, calendars, aprons, etc. Everywhere. The paintings in the Uffizi were really pretty, but now I hate lines. D=<
No comments:
Post a Comment